Clockwork Pink.
Every now and then, Shoumita and I get a tiny bit of insight into how Sonali's mind works. In these brief periods, I feel as though I am peering right into her mind and watching the clocklike little gears spin until POW: Something Happens.
The other night was one of these periods. Sonali and I were playing in her playroom when she spied her pink boots on the floor at the other end of the room. Entranced by their allure, she ran over to the lovely little boots, scooped them up, and brought them back to me. She gave (ahem, threw) them to me and exclaimed loudly "DADDY!" This was her own way of expressing to me the complex sentiment, "Father of mine, would you be so kind as to assist me in donning these lovely pink boots?"
Translating rapidly, I asked her, "Do you want Daddy to help you put on your boots?"
"YES!" She shouted. Then, apparently having a change of heart, she exclaimed just as loudly "NO!"
Puzzlement spread across her face. Her inner gears had apparently jammed. Perhaps sensing the internal impasse caused by a mind divided, she threw both hands in the air, looked me straight in the eyes and said "UH-OH!"
Then, she toddled off, per chance to meditate on this stalemate, evermore.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home